Seattle City Light is replacing aging utility poles throughout the utility’s service area to enhance safety and electrical reliability. In order for crews to complete the work safely, scheduled power outages will be required. We acknowledge that power outages are never convenient, especially under the current circumstances. We appreciate your patience as we work to improve the electrical infrastructure and enhance the safety of your neighborhood by completing this essential work.
This project will enhance safety by replacing aging utility poles from our system. The installation of new poles, wires, and equipment will also improve system reliability.
- Crews are working throughout City Light’s service territory to replace aging poles that are past their service life.
- Customers can expect temporary parking, sidewalk and traffic restrictions during this project. Flaggers will direct traffic through the work zone as needed.
- Some noise is expected during construction.
- Power outages are required to do the work safely. Affected customers will be notified in advance of any planned outage.
- The new poles will be placed alongside pre-existing poles and will meet the standards required for overhead power line construction. This may mean that some poles in the area will be slightly taller and wider than existing poles.
- Once the electrical equipment is relocated, old poles will be cut down to the level of the highest communications cable. Seattle City Light is working closely with CenturyLink to expedite this process and will continue to monitor/coordinate these efforts as needed to facilitate the removal of old poles.