Tree Line USA, a partnership between the Foundation and the National Association of State Foresters, recognizes public and private utilities for pursuing practices that protect and enhance America’s urban trees. Tree Line USA promotes the dual goals of delivering safe and reliable electricity while maintaining healthy community forests.
“Trees are a critical part of urban landscapes all across the United States,” said Dan Lambe, president of the Arbor Day Foundation. “They provide important benefits to residents, including clean air, clean water and a tolerable climate. Service providers like Seattle City Light demonstrate that it’s possible for trees and utilities to co-exist for the benefit of communities and citizens.”
Seattle City Light achieved Tree Line USA by meeting five program standards. Utilities must:
- Follow industry standards for quality tree care;
- Provide annual worker training in best tree care practices;
- Sponsor a tree planting and public education program;
- Maintain a tree-based energy conservation program; and
- Participate in an Arbor Day celebration.