Green Up is a voluntary renewable energy program that allows you to support Pacific Northwest wind, solar and other renewable energy projects generating carbon-free energy. When you participate in Green Up, we purchase regional renewable energy credits (RECs) on your behalf and fund local rooftop solar projects hosted by nonprofits and public organizations like affordable housing, schools, and parks.
After listening to our customers, we have re-designed the Green Up program to have more affordable and different contribution choices. Beginning on January 1, 2021, customers will now have two ways to participate in the program. You determine what method and what dollar amount works best for you.
- Green Up Match: Match up to 100% of your monthly electricity use or a percentage of your choosing. The average City Light home uses about 600 kWh of electricity each month. A 100% Green Up Match of the average home would equal approximately a $6 monthly commitment or $12 on your bi-monthly bill.
- Green Up Block: For as little as $1 a month you can purchase a 100 kWh Green Up Block to be added to your regular City Light bill. There are no limits to the number of Green Up Blocks you can purchase. The more you purchase, the more renewable energy you support. Sign up for Green Up Block and choose your monthly dollar amount contribution.
How Does Green Up Work?
- You buy renewable energy credits (RECs) through Green Up – there are two ways to participate and the cost is added to your regular City Light bill
- City Light purchases RECs from local and regional projects on your behalf – one renewable energy credit for every 1,000 kWh of electricity they produce
- You can cancel at any time – there are no long-term commitments or additional fees
- Green Up is certified by the Green-e(R) Energy Program which guarantees the program meets strict environmental and consumer protection standards established by the nonprofit Center for Resource Solutions
- Green Up charges will show up on your electricity bill, either at a match level of your choosing or a set monthly dollar amount
- The RECs purchased through Green Up are generated from Green-e approved wind, solar, or other renewable sources.
Why Join Green Up?
- It’s a low-cost way to support clean energy: You choose your support level – starting as low as $1 a month per 100kWh block to matching 100% of your electricity use or more!
- It’s a green thing you can do to help protect the environment: By supporting this program, you are adding clean, renewable energy to the regional and local power grid.
- It’s innovative and equitable: Green Up is increasing access to clean energy and green jobs, improving the health and economy of our local communities and the region.
Pre-enroll today and join the hundreds of City Light customers investing in Green Up. Thank you for being a champion of the environment and the local community!